Brussel Sprout Salad with Dried Cranberries and Toasted Walnuts
- 1 – 1 1/2 lbs brussel sprouts, preferably the small, tasty ones
- 2 shallots (or more depending on their size), diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 T unsalted butter
- 1T olive oil
- 1/3 C walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 1/4 C dried cranberries (or dried cherries)
- 1-2 t (or to taste) balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
Wash and trim the hard end from the brussel sprout. Slice in half and then julienne, so you have lovely cross sections. Melt butter in oil and heat over medium. Add shallots and garlic, cooking until the shallots are soft.
Add brussel sprouts, tossing to cover in oil and butter and a little salt. Keep stirring and cooking till the brussels are soft and charred a bit. Pour brussels into a serving bowl. Add toasted walnuts, cranberries and balsamic vinegar. Toss. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Note: I’m guessing that adding some feta cheese to this would be awesome. Try it and let me know!